I thought it was about time I gave an update on how my vet visits have been going. My latest biopsy results were not 100% conclusive and left us with a result of more likely Irritable Bowel Syndrome and less likely lymphoma. The only way we have left to get a real 100% conclusive result that will absolutely rule out lymphoma or absolutely diagnose it is to do a full thickness biopsy, which means they have to do a laparotomy. They would then need to take samples of the full thickness of my stomach and intestines, with the focus on the areas that are swollen or show signs of haemmorage. This is a really major surgery and there are lots of potential complications associated with it. It's something we're desperate to avoid if possible, and my vets agree with us.
We've decided to treat on suspicion of IBS for the time being, with antibiotics and antacids. The first antibiotic trial I was on had to be stopped as I stopped eating, but after a weeks break to make sure my appetite came back I started on a second antibiotic which has been more agreeable. My appetite has dropped a bit, but my weight is fairly stable. At the moment we are not treating with steroids as would normally done as it would mask the presence of lymphoma if we do need to do further testing and that is the root of the problem.
I'm still a happy bouncy boy, and my vet thinks I'm the bees knees. I'm halfway through the antibiotic trial and haven't vomitted since it started which is a big plus. If things are looking good in another weeks time, the trial will continue for another two weeks after that.
If it is IBS, we don't know what set it off. That will be something we have to look at in the future. I am still on my hypoallergenic food, but am hoping that wont be a forever thing.
And that is what's been happening with my insides. It's a lot of words for no answers, isn't it :)